Cheriton-Fitzpaine (St. Mary)
CHERITON-FITZPAINE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Crediton, hundred of West Budleigh, Crediton and N. divisions of Devon, 4¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Crediton; containing 1156 inhabitants. It includes parts of the tythings of Bradley and Fulford, and comprises by measurement 5365 acres, of which 50 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £37. 6. 8.; patron and incumbent, Rev. William Harris Arundell, whose tithes have been commuted for £992, and whose glebe comprises 31 acres. The church contains a stained-glass window, the gift of the incumbent, raised at the east end in 1846. There is an almshouse for six poor people, founded and endowed in 1594 by Andrew Scott; the income is £45.