Cheriton (St. Martin)
CHERITON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Elham, hundred of Folkestone, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 1 mile (W. N. W.) from Sandgate; containing 1178 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 1788a. 2r. 28p., and includes the principal portion of the chapelry of Sandgate, is intersected by the South-Eastern railway, and the Grand Military canal. There are 102 acres of woodland. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Newington united, valued in the king's books at £16. 12. 6.; patron, the Rev. W. Brockman. The tithes have been commuted for £515, and the glebe contains 8 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in the early English style, and contains several monuments, supposed to be the most ancient in the county.