Cherhill (St. James)
CHERHILL (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Calne, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3 miles (E.) from Calne; containing 422 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1300 acres, the soil of which in general is light and chalky. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, with a net income of £80. On the summit of a hill near the village is Oldborough, or Oldbury, camp, to which it is supposed the Danes retreated after the battle of Ethandune; and on its slope is the figure of a white horse, 157 feet long, in the attitude of trotting, cut out of the turf on the chalk rock. It was executed about half a century since, under the direction, and at the expense, of Dr. Christopher Allsop, an eminent physician of Calne; and, from its lofty situation, this being the highest land between London and Bath, is visible at the distance of twenty or thirty miles, in several directions.