Chelwood (St. Leonard)
CHELWOOD (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Clutton, hundred of Keynsham, E. division of Somerset, 2 miles (S. E.) from Pensford; containing 260 inhabitants. It abounds with coal. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells: the tithes have been commuted for £175, and the glebe comprises 38 acres, with a glebe-house. The tower of the church was rebuilt in 1772. There is an endowed chapel belonging to the Independents.