Chelveston (St. John the Baptist)
CHELVESTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Thrapston, hundred of Higham-Ferrers, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Higham-Ferrers; containing, with the hamlet of Caldecott, 372 inhabitants. This parish, which consists of 1754a. 3r. 36p., extends from the river Nene to the border of Bedfordshire, and the road from Higham-Ferrers to Kimbolton crosses it. The living is united to the vicarage of Higham-Ferrers: the tithes were commuted for land in 1801. A school was founded in 1760, by Abigail Bailey and Ann Levett, who endowed it with land, producing £12 per annum. James Sawyer, in 1708, endowed almshouses with £18 per annum.