CHELMERTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 4¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Tideswell; containing 238 inhabitants. The manufacture of ribbons is carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £86; patron, the Vicar of Bakewell; impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and the Duke of Devonshire. The chapel has some remains of a rood-loft and screen-work. There are meeting-houses for Wesleyans and Presbyterians; also a school, to which Mr. Brocklehurst, who died in 1792, gave £200. On the summit of an eminence above the village are two barrows, the circumference of the larger being about 240 feet: in this, when opened in the year 1782, several human skeletons were discovered, in rude stone coffins, with bones and teeth perfect.