CHELL, a township, in the parish of Wolstanton, union of Wolstanton and Burslem, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (N.) from Burslem; containing 737 inhabitants. It is divided into two townsteads, called Great and Little Chell, containing 740 acres: coal-mines are wrought on the confines. The village, which is seated on an eminence, and on the road from Newcastle to Congleton, is chiefly occupied by potters. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. The workhouse for the parishes of Wolstanton and Burslem, lately erected here, is a fine capacious structure of gabled architecture. At Turnhurst, in the township, James Brindley, the eminent engineer, died in 1772.