CHELFORD, a chapelry, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Knutsford; containing, with the township of Old Withington, 392 inhabitants, of whom 201 are in Chelford township. This township comprises 1161a. 34p., of which about a fourth is arable land, of a level surface, and a sandy soil. It lies on the Knutsford and Macclesfield road, and five roads meet in the village. The Birtles and Henbury brooks unite immediately below the chapel, forming in Astle Park a fine sheet of water, which empties itself into a brook called Peover-leve. Here is a station on the Manchester and Birmingham railway. Astle Park is the seat of J. Dixon, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £128; patron and impropriator, Mr. Dixon: there is a glebe-house, with 11½ acres of glebe; and in Newton, near Middlewich, are also 30 acres. The chapel, rebuilt in 1776, is a plain edifice. In 1754, John Parker, Esq., erected a school, and endowed it with £50, to which Thomas Moss and Samuel Brook added each £100.