Cheldon (St. Mary)
CHELDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of South Molton, hundred of Witheridge, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Chulmleigh; containing 90 inhabitants, and consisting by estimation of 1012 acres, of which 332 are common or waste. There are quarries of stone, which is chiefly used for the roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 6½., and in the patronage of the Hon. N. Fellowes: the tithes have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £77, and the glebe comprises 35 acres of land. The church is a small neat edifice.