CHEETHAM, a township, in the parish and union of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Manchester; containing 6082 inhabitants. The township lies on the new and old roads to Bury; is beautifully situated on rising ground; and comprises 954 acres, all pasture land. It abounds with the private residences of Manchester merchants and others, among which is Green Hill, the seat of Edward Loyd, Esq., banker of that town. The views of the surrounding country are very extensive. The river Irwell separates the township from Salford. St. Mark's church here was built in 1794, at the expense of the Rev. Charles Ethelston: the living is a perpetual curacy, patron and incumbent, the Rev. Hart Ethelston, M.A., grandson of the founder; net income, £350. An ecclesiastical district is assigned to the church, including portions of Crumpsall and Broughton. St. Luke's church, built on land given by the Earl of Derby, was consecrated in October, 1839; it cost £15,000, and is an elegant structure in the decorated English style, with a tower surmounted by a graceful spire, forming a conspicuous object in the scenery: the interior is particularly neat. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Loyd and four other Trustees; net income, £300, with a good glebe-house. St. Thomas's church, at the corner of Derby-street, Redbank, was commenced in 1843, by the Manchester and Eccles Church Building Society. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Chester. There are two meeting-houses for Wesleyans, with a burial-ground and a school attached to one of them; also a place of worship for Associated Methodists. St. Chad's Roman Catholic chapel, in York-street, was commenced in the spring of 1846, and completed in August 1847, at a cost of £8500: it is an elegant edifice of the 14th century, 134 feet long, and has a fine tower. Connected with St. Mark's church are good schools, towards the enlargement of which a government grant was made in 1844; they contain a useful village library. Excellent schools are also attached to St. Luke's.See Crumpsall.