Chedzoy (St. Mary)
CHEDZOY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of North Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Bridgwater; containing 507 inhabitants. It is situated about a mile and a quarter from the Bath and Exeter road, and comprises 1655a. 2r. 36p.: the soil is rather of a sandy nature, but tolerably fertile. The river Parret, which runs through Bridgwater, affords facility for the conveyance of coal; and the Bristol and Exeter railway is within three miles of the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £38. 7. 11., and in the gift of the Rev. Richard James Luscombe: the tithes have been commuted for £380, and the glebe comprises 30 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a spacious cruciform structure in the Norman style, with a lofty embattled tower, and a north and south porch, over the latter of which is the date 1579. Roman coins have frequently been discovered; and in 1701, some earthen urns and a fibula were dug up near the church.