Chediston (St. Mary)
CHEDISTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (W.) from Halesworth; containing 433 inhabitants, and comprising 2378a. 34p. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to the rectory of Halesworth, and valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 6.: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £230, and the vicarial for £13. 14. 6.; the glebe comprises 61½ acres. The church is chiefly in the perpendicular style, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a Lady chapel on the north; it has an embattled tower, and contains a font of Caen stone, curiously sculptured. An almshouse was in 1575 vested in trustees, by Henry Claxton, for three poor families.