Chedburgh (All Saints)
CHEDBURGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 284 inhabitants, and comprising 566a. 1r. 16p. The living is a discharged rectory, in the gift of the Marquess of Bristol, valued in the king's books at £4. 2. 8½.: the tithes have been commuted for £143. 2., and the glebe consists of nearly 28 acres. The church is a small structure, with an east window in the decorated style; a chancel was built by subscription in 1839, and in 1840 a beautiful tower and spire were added by the marquess, in the early English style. The Hon. William Hervey, in 1812, bequeathed property for the endowment of a school, for which a house has been built at the expense of the Marquess of Bristol.