Cheadle (St. Giles)
CHEADLE (St. Giles), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 14 miles (N. N. E.) from Stafford, and 147 miles (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 4399 inhabitants. This place is situated in a valley environed by hills, which, though formerly barren, have been planted with forest-trees, and have assumed the appearance of verdure and cultivation. The town, which is intersected by the roads from Newcastle to Ashbourn, and from Leek to Uttoxeter, consists of one principal and four smaller streets: the houses in the main street have, for the most part, been either rebuilt or modernised of late years, and appear substantial and roomy. The inhabitants are supplied with water from a rivulet, called Cicely's Brook, and from springs and pumps. Tape, copper, and brass works are extensively carried on in the town and neighbourhood: copper-ore has been discovered, but not in sufficient quantity to repay the expense of working it; and the vicinity abounds with coal. The Caldon branch of the Trent and Mersey canal passes within four miles of the town, by Oakamoor, the chief seat of the copper and brass works. The market is on Friday: a small square has been appropriated for the market-place. The fairs are on Holy-Thursday and Aug. 21st, for cattle. The powers of the county debt-court of Cheadle, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Cheadle, and the parish of Croxden.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 9. 2.; net income, £438; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The old church, which was principally in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and, though much mutilated and disfigured by alterations, retained some features of its original character, has been lately taken down, and a new church on a much larger scale, containing 1480 sittings, erected by subscription, aided by the Incorporated and Diocesan Societies. St. Chad's chapel, a stone edifice in the early English style, was opened for divine service in 1843, and consecrated in 1846. A chapel has also been lately built at Oakamoor. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, the New Connexion of Methodists, or Kilhamites, and Roman Catholics. St. Giles's church, for the last mentioned, was designed by Mr. Pugin, and built at the cost of the Earl of Shrewsbury; though not very large, it is an exceedingly costly and highly ornamented structure in the decorated English style, the tower and spire rising from the site 200 feet. A school was founded in 1685, by Mr. Stubbs, who endowed it with a rent-charge of £20; and to this the trustees of Mr. Andrew Newton added £30, the interest of which is paid to the master. Mr. Fowler, in 1663, gave a rent-charge of £6; Mr. Charles Beech, in 1726, bequeathed £26 per annum; and Mrs. Frances Grosvenor, of Hale Hall, in 1727, gave a rent-charge of £10; all for distribution among the poor. The union of Cheadle comprises 15 places, and contains a population of 17,859.