Cheadle (St. Mary)
CHEADLE (St. Mary), a parish, partly in the union of Stockport, and partly in that of Altrincham, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 7 miles (S.) from Manchester; containing 10,145 inhabitants, of whom 5463 are in Cheadle-Bulkeley, 2288 in Cheadle-Moseley, and 2394 in Handforth with Bosden. The parish comprises by measurement 5469 acres, chiefly arable and pasture land; of these, 1666 acres are in Cheadle-Bulkeley, and 2745 in Cheadle-Moseley. The village, situated near the Mersey, is remarkable for the beauty and salubrity of its situation, and its neat appearance. The chief employment of the inhabitants of the parish is the spinning, bleaching, and printing of cotton. The Manchester and Birmingham railway passes through Cheadle-Bulkeley, and the Macclesfield branch diverges from it there; another railway, from Birkenhead, joining the Manchester and Birmingham railway at Stockport, also passes through a part of the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 0. 7½.; net income, £635; patron, the Rev. D. Broughton: there is a good rectory-house, with a small glebe. The church is principally in the later English style, with aisles and a tower, and contains some monuments of the Brereton and Bulkeley families. Parts of the screen-work in one of the chapels, and the roof of the chancel, are supposed to belong to a church much older; the date of 1369 can be traced. A church has been built at Handforth. There are places of worship for Methodists and Roman Catholics. A school at Cheadle-Moseley, built by subscription, was endowed by Mr. J. Robinson, in 1785, with three acres of land. A neat Church of England school, near the church, is supported by subscription; and opposite the chapel is a Roman Catholic school.