Chaseley (St. John The Baptist)
CHASELEY (St. John The Baptist), a parish, in the union of Tewkesbury, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Tewkesbury; containing 364 inhabitants. The parish lies at the southern extremity of the county, and is bounded on the south-east by the river Severn, and on all other sides, except the north-west, by the shire of Gloucester; it contains 1677 acres, and the road from Upton to Gloucester passes along its western border. Corn, cheese, and cider are the principal products. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £5. 14. 7.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The great tithes have been commuted for £327, and the vicarial for £177; the glebe contains about one acre. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower and spire. Thomas Tuberville, in 1728, bequeathed land, producing £14 per annum, for which children are taught.