Chart, Sutton (St. Michael)
CHART, SUTTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourn, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Maidstone; containing 604 inhabitants. This parish, in Domesday book called Certh, is intersected from east to west by the Quarry, or northern range of hills, here forming the boundary of the Weald. It comprises by measurement 2165 acres, the soil of which on the hills is light and spongy, and on the lower grounds clay; the whole land, excepting the pastures, is employed in the cultivation of fruit and hops. The southern declivity, both from its genial aspect and the richness of the soil, is well adapted to the culture of vines. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 12. 8½., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester: the glebe contains 8½ acres. The church, which stands near Sutton-Valence, on the summit of the acclivity upon which the village is built, was, with its beautiful spire, destroyed by lightning in 1779, but was rebuilt; it belonged to Leeds Priory.