Charlwood (St. Nicholas)
CHARLWOOD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union, and First division of the hundred, of Reigate, E. division of Surrey, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Reigate, and on the borders of the county of Sussex; containing 1291 inhabitants. This place was the scene of a sanguinary battle between the Danes and the men of Surrey and Sussex, that occurred near a bridge since called Kilman Bridge, and in which the Danes were defeated with great slaughter. It comprises about 7000 acres. The London and Brighton railway intersects the southeastern part of the parish, as does also the road from London to Brighton by way of Crawley; and the river Mole winds through and bounds some parts of it. An act for inclosing lands was passed in 1843. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 16. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. Wise: the tithes have been commuted for £900, and the glebe consists of 22 acres, with a glebe-house. The church contains several ancient monuments of the family of Sanders and others, and is in the Norman and early English styles; the south aisle is separated from the chancel by the remains of a very handsome and elaborately carved screen. There is a place of worship for Independents.