Charlton-upon-Otmore (St. Mary)
CHARLTON-upon-Otmore (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Bicester; containing, with the hamlets of Fencot and Murcot, 658 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1840 acres, of which 1291 are arable, and nearly all the rest pasture. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 9. 4½.; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. The church is partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style: a portion of the ancient rood-loft, of exquisite beauty, is remaining; and in the chancel, which is lighted by elegant windows with flowing tracery, are some stone stalls highly enriched.