Charlton-Adam (St. Peter and St. Paul)
CHARLTON-ADAM (St. Peter And St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Langport, hundred of Somerton, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (E.) from Somerton; containing 472 inhabitants, and consisting of 1476a. 2r. 32p. Stone of good quality for building and for paving is quarried to a considerable extent. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 14. 7.; net income, £137; patron, John Barney, Esq.: the impropriation belongs to Mrs. Gapper. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in 1803; the glebe comprises 19 acres. A chantry, or free chapel, dedicated to St. Stephen, was founded here by Lord Henry Fitz-Richard, by permission of the prior of Brewton, under whom he held the manor. The Roman Fosse-way from Bath to Ilchester proceeds through the parish.