Charlton (St. Peter)
CHARLTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough, Devizes and N. division of Wilts, 4 miles (S. W.) from Pewsey; containing 201 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Pewsey to Devizes, and comprises by measurement 1700 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 15. 6., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £132, and £10 per annum are paid to the vicar under the will of Dr. Robert South, of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church is a very ancient structure, with a tower on the north side. Here was an alien priory, founded in 1187, as a cell to the abbey of L'Isle Dieu, and granted at the suppression of alien houses to St. Katherine's Hospital, London. About a mile to the west are the remains of an intrenched camp with a spacious prætorium, called Casterley, the area of which, comprising 60 acres, is intersected by a broad fosse.