Chalfont (St. Peter's)
CHALFONT (St. Peter's), a parish, in the union of Amersham, hundred of Burnham, county of Buckingham, 1½ mile (N. N. E.) from Gerrard's-Cross; containing 1483 inhabitants. The rectory, the manor, and 1147 acres of land, belonged to Missenden Abbey; and were sold, at the Dissolution, to Sir Robert Drury and others, from whom they passed into the Bulstrode family. The parish is intersected by a tributary stream of the Colne, called Missbourne, upon which there is a silk-mill, affording employment to about fifty women. It comprises about 4564 acres, of which 4100 are arable, 292 wood, and 178 uninclosed common: the surface is irregular; the soil on the higher grounds is gravel, with a clayey tenacious subsoil, and the lower grounds are covered with a thin coat of alluvial bog earth. The pettysessions for the division are holden here. The living is a vicarage, endowed with part of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £15. 17. 1.; net income, £600; patrons, the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford. The remainder of the great tithes belongs to three proprietors of land. The church, rebuilt in 1726, is a plain brick edifice, with an embattled tower seventy feet high, containing a peal of six well-toned bells; the quoins and window and door cases, of stone, were brought from the ruins of the Roman station of Verulam, now St. Alban's.