Chaldon (St. Peter and St. Paul)
CHALDON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Reigate, First division of the hundred of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Reigate; containing 197 inhabitants. It comprises 1653a. 1r. 10p., of which upwards of 1000 acres are arable, 104 meadow, 347 wood, and 84 common; the surface is diversified throughout by depressions and elevations, and the leading soil is chalk, with occasional admixtures of gravel resting upon a substratum of chalk. Here are some quarries of a soft species of stone, not much used. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 7½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. James Legrew, whose tithes have been commuted for £335. 11. 3., and who has a glebe of 31 acres, with a glebe-house. The church, occupying a slightly-elevated site, with the command of agreeable scenery, is believed to have been founded at least eight centuries ago: a tower and spire were added in 1843.