Chailey (St. Peter)
CHAILEY (St. Peter), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Street, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 6½ miles (N. by W.) from Lewes; containing 1064 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Lewes, and comprises 5889 acres, of which 828 are common or waste: sandstone of good quality is found, and quarried for building purposes; the soil is generally fertile, and about 20 acres of land are under cultivation for hops. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 2., and in the patronage of Mrs. Hepburn and Mrs. R. W. Blencowe: the tithes have been commuted for £682. 10.; the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church is a neat edifice, chiefly in the early English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire; the rectory-house is a very ancient building, surrounded by a moat. There are several chalybeate springs.