Chadwell (St. Mary)
CHADWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Orsett, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Grays; containing 236 inhabitants. It comprises 1753 acres, chiefly arable, and is bounded on the south by the river Thames: the soil is generally deep and heavy, the surface considerably elevated above the marshes, and the surrounding lands abound with chalk. At the time of the Norman survey, the parish belonged principally to the Bishop of London, and some portions to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, and others. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 13. 4.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. P. Herringham, whose tithes have been commuted for £480: the glebe contains 40 acres. The church is pleasantly situated on the brow of a hill. In a wood near the highway leading to Stifford, are several ancient excavations, termed Danes' Holes.