Chaddleworth (St. Andrew)
CHADDLEWORTH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Wantage, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, 6½ miles (W. S. W.) from East Ilsley; containing, with the tything of Woolley, 481 inhabitants, and comprising 3306a. 33p. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 7.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster: the great tithes have been commuted for £547, and those of the vicar for £268. 3.; there are 23½ acres of glebe, of which nearly 4 belong to the Dean and Chapter. In 1720, a school was founded and endowed by Mr. William Saunders, of which the income is £40 per annum: Mrs. Susannah Wynne gave an annuity of £10 for teaching children, and others are paid for by private individuals. In 1160, a priory for Regular canons of the order of St. Augustine was founded at Poughley, which was dissolved by Cardinal Wolsey, when its revenue amounted to £71. 10. 7.