Chaddesley-Corbett (St. Cassyon)
CHADDESLEY-CORBETT (St. Cassyon), a parish, in the union of Kidderminster, Lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, Kidderminster and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Kidderminster; containing 1434 inhabitants. It comprises 5908a. 3r. 14p., of which 252 acres are woodland; and is intersected by the roads from Stourbridge to Stourport and from Kidderminster to Bromsgrove, which cross each other at the western extremity of the parish. Winterfold House, surrounded with 600 acres, is the property and residence of the Rev. Thomas Harward; in the grounds are some fine elms and oaks, and some deer. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 3. 4.; patron, the Crown; impropriators, the Corporation of Warwick. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1797; and under the late act, the impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £760: the impropriate glebe contains 36a. 2r. 21p., and the vicarial 70a. 1r. 23p., with a glebe-house. The church is a spacious edifice, with a beautiful spire; it is of red freestone, combining different styles of English architecture, with some Norman portions, of which latter the font is a fine specimen. Here is a free school, endowed with land out of the annual produce of which about £170 are applied towards the support of the poor. An almshouse for five aged widows was erected by Mrs. Margaret Delabere, and, in compliance with her will, endowed by her subsequent husband, Sir Neville Pool, in 1637, with £200, which sum was invested in land, now let for £312 per annum, part of which is distributed among poor families. At the hamlet of Harvington, in the parish, is a Roman Catholic chapel, the rebuilding of which was completed in 1825, by subscription; the late Sir George Throckmorton, Bart., being the chief contributor. Sir George also founded a school, and endowed it with a rent-charge upon the Harvington estate.