Chaddesden (St. Mary)
CHADDESDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, hundred of Appletree, locally in that of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 2½ miles (E.) from Derby; containing 472 inhabitants. Among the families who were anciently seised of this manor were the Grenes, Plumptons, Cliffords, and Newtons; and the Wilmot family have had their seat here for many generations. The parish is intersected by the road from Derby to Nottingham; and the Derby canal also passes through. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £89; patron, Sir H. S. Wilmot, Bart.; impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire. In the church are some memorials to the Wilmot family. In 1638 an almshouse for six persons was founded and endowed by Edward Wilmot; and in 1813 John Berrysford left property, now producing £16. 4. per annum, to be distributed amongst widows and orphans.