CHADDERTON, a township, in the parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, union of Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (N. E. by N.) from Manchester; containing 5397 inhabitants. This place is chiefly distinguished for its two ancient mansions, Fox-Denton Hall and Chadderton Hall, and for the families by whom they were occupied. Both mansions were possessed by the Traffords, in the reign of John; Geoffrey de Trafford assumed the name of Chadderton, and Margaret, his great-granddaughter, being married to John de Radcliffe, of Radcliffe Tower and Fox-Denton, the manor passed as a dowry into that family. Chadderton Hall was the birthplace of Dr. Laurence Chadderton, an eminent divine at the period of the Reformation, of which he was a zealous promoter; he lived to the great age of 103 years, and died at Cambridge on the 16th November, 1640. The township is situated to the west of Oldham, and forms a right angle with the township of Royton. The spinning of cotton, weaving of silk, and manufacture of hats, are carried on; and coal abounds, which, by means of a branch of the Ashton canal, is conveyed to Manchester, Stockport, and other towns in the vicinity. The township is also intersected by the Rochdale canal, the Manchester and Leeds railway, and the Oldham and Middleton road. At Hollinwood, a large manufacturing village in the township, about two miles from Oldham, is a chapel dedicated to St. Margaret, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a house; patron, the Rector of Prestwich. In 1845 two districts or ecclesiastical parishes were formed under the 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37: the church of St. John, to which one of these districts has been assigned, is in the early English style; the other church is dedicated to St. Matthew. The livings of both are in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester and the Crown alternately; net income of each, £150. To each church are attached schools; and at Hollinwood is a school, endowed by the Rev. John Darbey with £8 per annum in 1808, and £7 by another benefactor. The tithes have been commuted for £120. On the lawn in front of Chadderton Hall is a tumulus, on lowering which, at different periods, relics of antiquity have been discovered.