Cerney, South (All Hallows)
CERNEY, SOUTH (All Hallows), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Cirencester; containing 1077 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2924 acres; limestone abounds, and is quarried for manure. The Thames and Severn canal passes through the parish, and the Cheltenham branch of the Great Western railway through a parish adjoining. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 16. 8.; net income, £231; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1808. The church is a fine specimen of Norman architecture, with later additions, and consists of a nave, chancel, north aisle, and north transept, with a low central tower and spire: at the south porch is a beautifully enriched arch ornamented with grotesque heads terminating the mouldings. Between the nave and the chancel is a pointed arch rising from slender columns, the capitals of which are decorated with foliage; the chancel, with a fine east window of three lights, is of later date than the other parts of the edifice. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists; and a national school has been established, chiefly through the munificence of Mrs. Ann Edwards, who gave £1500 for its foundation and endowment, and £1000 more for building houses for the master and mistress. Mrs. Edwards, in 1834, bequeathed the residue of her property in trust to the charity for the support of widows and orphans of clergymen of the diocese; in 1837, one-half of the bequest was appropriated to the erection of an asylum, and a very handsome edifice has been built, called Edward's College, on a site given for the purpose by a near relative of the deceased, for the reception of distressed families of clergymen.