Cawston (St. Agnes)
CAWSTON (St. Agnes), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3¼ miles (E. by N.) from Reepham, and on the road from Norwich to Holt; containing 1130 inhabitants. The manor is held in free socage of the crown, in right of the duchy of Lancaster, in token of which two maces are carried before the lord, or his steward, one bearing a brazen hand surmounted by a ploughshare, and the other a bearded arrow. Fairs are held on Feb. 1st, and the last Wednesdays in April and August, that in August being a large sheep-fair. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 13. 11½.; net income, £808; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge; the glebe contains 14 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a handsome cruciform structure with a lofty tower, in the later English style, built by Michael de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk: there is a chapel on its north side, the interior of which is elaborately ornamented. The Independents, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, have places of worship. At the inclosure, in 1802, an allotment of 100 acres was awarded to the poor for fuel.