Cavendish (St. Mary)
CAVENDISH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Clare; containing 1353 inhabitants. This parish, at a very early period, was the property of the Cavendish family, of whom John Cavendish, being in attendance on Richard II., despatched the rebel Wat Tyler, whom William Walworth, lord mayor of London, had stunned with a blow of his mace. The populace of this neighbourhood, in retaliation, seized Sir John Cavendish, uncle of the former, and lord chief justice of the king's bench, whom, together with the prior of Bury, they beheaded at the market-cross in that town. The parish comprises 3351a. 1r. 24p.: the village is situated on the river Stour. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26; net income, £547; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. Thomas Grey, in 1696, gave 78 acres of land for teaching poor children. The noble family of Cavendish, of which the Duke of Devonshire is the representative, derives its name from this place.