Cave, North (All Saints)
CAVE, NORTH (All Saints), a parish, partly in the union of Howden, and partly in that of Pocklington, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 10 miles (E. N. E.) from Howden; containing 1217 inhabitants, and comprising the chapelry of South Cliffe, and townships of North Cave, and Drewton with Everthorpe. This parish is situated on the main road from Hull and Beverley to Wakefield and the West riding, about 4 miles from the Hull and Selby railway, and 2 from the Market-Weighton canal. It comprises 6913a. 1r. 8p., of which 2025 acres are in the chapelry of South Cliffe: about 4702 are arable, 1006 pasture and meadow, 230 wood, 935 warren, and 13 common; the soil is various, being chalky in the high, blue lias in the lower, and oolite in the intervening, lands. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 7. 6.; net income, £247; patrons and impropriators, Henry Burton, Esq., and Mrs. Sarah Burton. The great tithes for part of the township of North Cave were commuted for land in 1764; a tithe rent-charge of £155 is paid to the impropriators, and one of £57 to the vicar, who has a glebe, of an acre and a half. The church is a commodious edifice with a handsome tower, and contains a full-length figure of a knight in armour, supposed to represent Sir Thomas Matham, whose family were formerly seated here, but of whose mansion there are no remains. At South Cliffe is a chapel of ease; and there are places of worship in the parish for the Society of Friends, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.