CAUNDLE, BISHOP, a parish, in the union of Sherborne, partly in the hundred of Brownshall, Sturminster division, and partly in that of Sherborne, Sherborne division of Dorset, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Sherborne; containing 365 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1304 acres, of which 200 are arable, 961 meadow and pasture, and about 22 wood. The hamlet of Brownshall, in the parish, is of great antiquity, and was formerly of importance, having given name to a hundred. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10.; net income, £226; patron, Earl Digby. The glebe contains 21 acres, with a glebe-house.