Cauldon (St. Mary)
CAULDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cheadle, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 7 miles (N.) from Cheadle; containing 326 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1500 acres of land, in a barren and dreary part of the moorlands; and is separated from the parish of Waterfall by the river Hamp, which in its course enters the ground at Waterhouses, continuing a subterraneous progress for upwards of five miles. At Cauldon Lowe, a lofty hill, are lime-works from which the greater part of the surrounding country is supplied; the lime is conveyed by railway to Froghall, and thence by canal, and much of it is used in the iron districts for the smelting of ore, being peculiarly adapted for that purpose: about 150 hands are employed on the works at Cauldon Lowe. The village is formed of straggling houses on a declivity. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £85; patron, A. Henniker, Esq.: the church is a small building, with a tower. A school is supported by subscription. Curious fossils are found here in abundance.