Catwick (St. Michael)
CATWICK (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Skirlaugh, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 8 miles (N. E. by E.) from Beverley; containing 191 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1493 acres: the soil is various, but chiefly clay and gravel; the surface is undulated, and the scenery diversified, and in some situations of pleasing character. Tiles, chimney-pots, and bricks are manufactured to some extent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £149: the tithes were commuted for a money payment on the inclosure of the parish. The church is an ancient edifice in the later style of English architecture, repaired in 1842. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.