CATTERAL, a township, in the parish and union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 1¾ mile (S. S. W.) from Garstang, on the road to Preston; containing 1102 inhabitants. The family of Catteral were in possession of this place for a considerable period; from them it passed by marriage to the Sherburnes, and subsequently came to the Banisters, Winckleys, and others. The township is situated at the confluence of the West Calder with the river Wyre, and comprises 1341a. 3r. 4p. of good land; the surface is level, running up by a gradual ascent towards Bleasdale: at the higher end is a good stone quarry. A cotton-mill, belonging to S. L. Behrens, Esq., of Catteral House, employs 438 hands; and there is another cotton-mill, carried on by Messrs. Jackson; also a bobbin-turning manufactory. The Preston and Lancaster railway and canal both pass through the township. There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.