Catherington (St. Catherine)
CATHERINGTON (St. Catherine), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Finch-Dean, Petersfield and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 6¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Petersfield; containing 1003 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 5035 acres, of which 2800 are arable, 1400 pasture, 615 woodland, and 95 common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 5. 10., and in the gift of J. Hayward, Esq.: the great tithes, belonging to Sir L. Curtis, Bart., have been commuted for £614, and those of the incumbent for £280; there is a glebe of 2 acres. The church, situated on an eminence, has some rich Norman arches, and contains a monument to Nicholas Hyde, chief justice of the court of queen's bench: a gallery was erected in 1834. The poor law union comprises 5 parishes or places, and contains a population of 2356.