CATFOSS, a township, in the parish of Sigglesthorne, union of Skirlaugh, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 9½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Beverley; containing 45 inhabitants. This place, in Domesday book Catefoss, derives its name, of British origin, from "coit," a wood, and "foss," a dyke. At an early period it belonged to the family of de Fauconberg, and in the reign of Edward III. came by marriage to the Constables, from whom it has descended to the Bethell family. The township comprises about 1053 acres of land. Catfoss House, built early in the 17th century, was pulled down about thirty years since.