Catfield (All Saints)
CATFIELD (All Saints), a parish, in the hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Stalham; containing 655 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Ant; and comprises by admeasurement 2380 acres, of which about 1500 are arable, 500 pasture, meadow, and marsh, and 300 water forming a lake. The living consists of a discharged rectory and vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 10., and in the gift alternately of the Bishop of Norwich and G. Cubitt, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £600, and the glebe comprises about 20 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in the later style, and consists of a nave, a handsome chancel, and aisles, with a square embattled tower; the nave is separated from the chancel by a carved screen, and on the floor is the lid of a coffin, curiously sculptured, removed from Hickling Priory in 1826. Several large paintings in fresco, of the Romish sacraments, of martyrs, and other subjects, have been discovered in the nave, by removing the plaster-work from the upper part of the walls. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. At the inclosure, in 1802, 60 acres of heath were allotted to the poor for fuel and pasturage. Cowper, the poet, spent much of his time at the rectory-house, on visits to his uncle, who was incumbent.