Castle-Thorpe (St. Simon and St. Jude)
CASTLE-THORPE (St. Simon and St. Jude), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Stony-Stratford; containing 365 inhabitants. This place derives its name from the ancient castle of the barony of Hanslope, the site of which exhibits traces of very extensive buildings: it was taken and demolished in 1217, by Fulke de Brent, when it had been garrisoned by its owner, William Manduit, one of the barons who were in arms against Henry III. The London and Birmingham railway passes within a short distance. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Hanslope. Thomas Tyrell, one of the judges in the court of common pleas in the reign of Charles II., resided here, and was interred in the chancel of the church, where a handsome monument was erected by his widow.