Casterton, Great (St. Peter and St. Paul)
CASTERTON, GREAT (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 2¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 376 inhabitants. This was a Roman station, and several coins and the remains of an encampment have been discovered; it was demolished by the Picts and Scots, who ravaged the island as far as Stamford, whence they were driven back to their own territories by the Saxons under Hengist. Its former name was Brig-Casterton, from a bridge over the Gwash, or Wash, here. The barony was held by various lords, until it reverted to the crown in the reign of Henry VIII., in consequence of its possessor, John, Lord Hussey, being attainted of high treason, and beheaded at Lincoln, for joining a commotion raised in Lincolnshire; it is now the property of the Marquess of Exeter. The parish comprises by measurement 2258 acres, of which 2088 are arable and pasture, and 170 woodland. The road from London to Edinburgh passes through the village; and great improvement has been made by lowering a steep hill and constructing a viaduct, at an expense of £5000. The living is a rectory, with that of Pickworth annexed, valued in the king's books at £11. 2. 11.; net income, £686; patron, the Marquess. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an act of inclosure, in the year 1795; and the glebe consists of about 64 acres, with an excellent glebe-house.