CARNFORTH, a township, in the parish of Warton, union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Lancaster, on the road to Kendal; containing 306 inhabitants. This place, which belonged at an early period to the family of Urswick, afterwards passed to the crown, and was held by Margaret, Countess of Richmond and Derby; the Coopers, Warrens, and others, subsequently possessed the property. Carnforth is the south-western township of the parish, and is chiefly remarkable as the scene of a great aquatic depredation; several hundred acres of the saltmarsh adjoining the south bank of the Keer, having been washed away within the last century. The area is 1446 acres. Here is a well-known quarry of sandstone used as an ingredient in making mortar. The Lancaster and Carlisle railway passes through the township, and has a station at the village: from Hest Bank, passing Bolton-le-Sands, to this place, the line proceeds over a peat-moss, twenty feet in depth, by an embankment which is twenty feet higher than the surface; beyond Carnforth it enters a cutting half a mile long, and averaging fifty feet in depth.