CARLTON-UPON-TRENT, a chapelry, in the parish of Norwell, union of Southwell, N. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 6¾ miles (N.) from Newark; containing 230 inhabitants. It is situated on the great north road, and comprises upwards of 1000 acres of land. At the distance of a quarter of a mile east of the village, is a ferry over the Trent, which bounds the chapelry. Carlton House, built in the last century, was long the seat of Sir William Earle Welby, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land in 1765. The chapel is a small ancient building, with a brick tower.