Carlton-In-Lindrick (St. John)
CARLTON-IN-LINDRICK (St. John), a parish, in the union of Worksop, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 3¾ miles (N. by E.) from Worksop; containing, in the north and south divisions, 1047 inhabitants. This appears to have been a place of some importance before the Conquest, from the many vestiges of antiquity still visible. A considerable trade is carried on in malt, which is chiefly disposed of at Manchester and Stockport. The parish comprises 4073a. 25p.: the great road between Doncaster and Nottingham runs through the village, and the Chesterfield canal within three miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 13. 4.; net income, £576; patron, the Archbishop of York. The tithes were commuted for 541 acres of land in 1767, and there is an excellent glebehouse. The church, which is a spacious edifice chiefly in the Norman style, has a fine arch at the principal entrance; the tower and the nave are in a later style, and the north and south aisles have been erected within the last few years.