Carlton, Great (St. John the Baptist)
CARLTON, GREAT (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7½ miles (E. S. E.) from Louth; containing 352 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2196 acres, of which about 1327 are arable, and the rest pasture. The village, which is pleasant and well built, is situated near the source of a rivulet. The living is a vicarage, not in charge, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln; net income, £571, arising from 300 acres of land, and the tithes which have been commuted for £61. The church is an ancient edifice, lately repaired and beautified. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school, erected by Sir Edward Smith, Bart., in 1716, is endowed with £20 per annum; four acres of land, yielding a rent of £6, were added on inclosing the lordship of Carlton Castle.