Carlton, East (St. Peter)
CARLTON, EAST (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 7 miles (E. by N.) from Market-Harborough; containing 68 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Welland, and comprises 1600a. 5p., of which about 1000 acres are meadow and pasture, 188 wood, and the rest arable: it is crossed by the road from Harborough to Rockingham. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 3.; net income, £108; patron, Sir J. H. Palmer, Bart. The church and the family mansion were rebuilt by the late proprietor: attached to the latter is a small park, which has been much improved by the addition of some beautiful grounds in the adjoining township of Middleton. An hospital, now occupied by five women, was founded in 1668, by Sir Geoffrey Palmer, who endowed it with forty-six acres of land in the forest of Leighfield; and Lady Mary Palmer, in 1711, bequeathed the principal part of a fund of £32 per annum for apprenticing children.