Carlton (St. Peter)
CARLTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Blything, hundred of Hoxne, locally in that of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, ½ a mile (N. by W.) from Saxmundham; containing 133 inhabitants, and comprising 450 acres. The living is a rectory, consolidated in 1679 with that of Kelsale, and valued in the king's books at £3. 11. 0½.: the tithes of Carlton have been commuted for £137. A chantry was founded here about 1330, by John Framlingham, rector of Kelsale, for three chaplains to pray for the soul of Alice of Hainault, Countess Marshal.