CARLTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Gedling, union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Nottingham; containing 2015 inhabitants. The hamlet comprises 1404 acres, and its village is the largest in the parish; the hills near it command extensive views of Nottingham, and the vale of the Trent. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the lace and hosiery manufactures, there being more than 400 stocking-frames in the village. Courts leet are held in April and October. Here is a station of the Nottingham and Lincoln railway. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship.