Carlton (St. Mary)
CARLTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Willey, union and county of Bedford, 1½ mile (S.) from Harrold; containing 444 inhabitants. It was formerly much intermixed with the parish of Chellington, but under an act of inclosure, in 1801, a distinct boundary was established. The living is a rectory, with that of Chellington united in 1769, valued in the king's books at £15. 6. 8.; net income, £370; patron, the Hon. G. R. Trevor. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1805. The church contains a tablet on which is recorded the long incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Wills, who was seventy years minister. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists.